The Spring Festival is a season for change and new beginnings. Consistent with most activities on the occasion, wearing new clothes represents leaving the old and welcoming the new. They also add to the festivity and are believed to protect you from evil spirits!
Back in the day, when China was principally an agrarian nation, people could only harvest thrice a year in the South and once a year in the North. Because of this, people saved their resources throughout the year. Read on this article to know more about the significance of wearing new chinese new year clothes and how the chinese choose clothes for their new year celebrations.
Tang Suit (唐装)
You may have seen this type of clothing worn by actors in Chinese martial arts films. The traditional tang suit was mainstream in the Tang Dynasty, but the more modern take to it combines the man-riding jacket of the Qing Dynasty and the western suit.
The qipao was popularized during the Qing Dynasty, but the contemporary styles we see today are very different from the first ones. The original qipao was a conservative dress embroidered with intricate designs. Because of colonization, the modern qipao is largely influenced by western culture.
The term “cheongsam” literally translates to “long shirt/dress” but is often used by Westerners to refer to women’s qipao. It is tailored to fit loosely and is more commonly worn by men today.
The term “hanfu” literally means “clothing of the Han ethnicity” and comprises of traditional apparel up until the Qing Dynasty. There are many variations, but a hanfu outfit generally includes a shirt and a skirt. The shirt has cross lapels with long and wide sleeves while the skirt is long and could even start from the chest.
Things to remember when picking Chinese New Year clothes
- Wearing the correct and most appropriate clothes in new year can be an important aspect of the festive Chinese new year celebration. When it comes to buying Chinese New Year clothes for the new year, it is also important to remember the importance of choosing the right color, style, print and material of your clothes. You should choose the right color that compliments your skin tone.
- Wearing Chinese New Year clothes in a light-hearted and playful way is always very important as it sets the tone for the whole New Year’s Eve. You should not wear your clothes as if they are a piece of clothing but rather dress them up with fun embellishments, colors, prints which you find interesting. This will set you apart from other people and give you a sense of confidence that you do not have to do with the conventional dressing styles. You may also want to wear bright clothes like red or yellow to make yourself stand out from the crowd.
- For those who are interested in bright colors, you can wear the clothes with different patterns. However, when it comes to buying New Year clothes for the new year, you must ensure that the designs you choose are safe. You may also want to opt for bright embroidery, sequins and colorful fabrics to enhance your clothing. For a more elegant look, you could consider wearing silk.
- When it comes to clothes for women, the most important thing you should keep in mind is the color and design. You should try to look at your clothing in a different perspective so that you can better decide on the right color and design of your clothing. When you are purchasing clothes, you should look for one that is not too bright but rather something that is a mixture of bright colors.
- You may also want to wear Chinese New Year clothes that are made from good materials. It would not do you any good if you choose something that has a high price tag, but would not be durable. When you choose a high quality material for Chinese New Year clothing, you will have the assurance of having long-lasting clothes. that would last a long time.
- You could also choose Chinese New Year clothes that have bright prints on them to make them unique and special. You may want to choose bright colors like red or yellow for the New Year’s Eve. but you could also opt for prints such as Chinese dragon, peacock, floral design and fairy designs.
What You Should Know
There are many different designs of Chinese New Year clothing for women available in the market, you just have to spend some time to choose the perfect Chinese New Year clothes. A good pair of Chinese New Year clothes will make you stand out from the crowd. In fact, many people like to wear Chinese New Year clothes even if they are on their first New Year.
If you want to get in touch with the past, you could choose your clothes based on your family history. If you belong to an ancient family line, you could choose traditional clothes. You may want to select traditional outfits, as they usually have a traditional color and design.
In Chinese New Year clothes, you may choose to choose simple outfits that will make you feel good. You can choose to wear a simple white dress or a long and flowing black dress.